Friday, June 21, 2013

Reverse Psychology

There is a problem when you have already started using reverse psychology on your kid and he is only two. I hope that Lexy has something 'up her sleeve' for him when he gets to his teens because I am running low on ideas. The other day I went outside to put the garbage out and let Coleman outside with me, thinking that he would be happy to stay by me to see what I was up to. After getting the garbage into the bin, I turned around to find him half way down the street. I knew that I was in real trouble when I would get a yard or two away and he would take off before I could get to him. I was grateful that Max's preschool had just been let out so a neighbor, who saw my plight from across the street and must have heard me yelling at Colester my unheeded threats of "going on timeout if he did not stop this instant!" and "if you come here, I will give you a treat." and came and picked him up and brought him to me. I had to laugh out loud that Coleman did not try to run from my friend Matt Allred, it was as if he knew that Matt could get him and his effort to escape him would be futile, unlike him running circles around his own dad. I keep saying that kids train the trainer, us parents, One day my Coleman I will wise up and overcome my fear of walking all the time.I am grateful to have such great neighbors and friends, as well as a patient 2 year old trainer. Maybe when you start tauntingly telling me, "Don't stand up and catch me dad, Don't do it!"
When we were down in St. George with my family my younger brother Kevin commented to me how the only thing that works on his two older boys is the same thing, so he tried to use it on our niece Jaylee and she broke down crying. Good luck with her,Amy. For now Kevin and I will continue to use reverse psychology on ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment