Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Killing:myself

Suicide is not painless. I know that it is dark, the only way that I know to bring it to light is to not hide it, that is when the darkness suffocates, when it stays pushed into a hidden corner. My younger brother went to one of his friends funeral because of it about a year ago,two of my friends in high school confided in us that they had made plans, my next door neighbor's mother came in and saved him from hanging himself, the sad thing is that I could go on and on.
"How is it that Utah is number 1 in the nation for suicide rates?" my Grandma Baugh asked in disbelief and anguish. My wife responded, "It's because we have such high expectations." I was quick to add that we also have the highest rate of perscribtions for antidepressants -says the man currently on them.
I cry with my Abby as we watch Flint Lockwood in Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, as he throws himself away and call himself "junk." I hold her close and tell her that if she ever feels like "junk," she needs to tell me so that I can hug and kiss those feelings away. Why do we loath ourselves so?

No comments:

Post a Comment