Tuesday, June 18, 2013

"It is good that I should be afflicted;. . ."

that I might learn Thy statutes" is Psalm 119:72. Psalm 119:67 reads, "Before I was afflicted I went astray;but I now have kept they word . . ." Elder Holland comments on these scriptures in his book For Troubled times, "We would lnot like to think that we would have to be afflicted in order to learn the lessons of life, but sometimes we do. We should learn from our mistakes. Certainly we should. . . .perhaps only our affliction brings us back to our senses, bring us back to keeping His word. With that perspective we all should be able to say, even with hard lessons and difficult experiences, 'It is good that I have been afflicted'"

In the book of Mormon, one of my favorite scriptures is in Alma 62:41: "But behold, because of the exceedingly great length of the war between the Nephites and the Laminites many had become hardened, because of the exceedingly great length of the war; and many were sofetened because of their afflictions, insomuch that they did humble themselves before God, even in the depth of humility." There are two ways that we can choose to go in life; harden yourself or humble yourself. We may not choose the situation, but we do get to choose our reaction. We have the ability to respond; the responsibility, come what may.

No comments:

Post a Comment