Monday, June 3, 2013

Falling short of perfection

Big surprise there, Eh? I am a recovering perfectionist. I can remember the first time that I was asked by a therapist if I was a perfectionist? I replied that "I was far from perfect, so how could I be?" I also was told that I had an "all or nothing" mindset, talk about thinking in extremes. Not one of my finer traits, but like anything else in life we are able to make our weaknesses into strengths or at the very least make them work for us instead of against us.
The more that I learn about how weird I am, the more I learn that we all are in varying degrees our own unique, and imperfect weird. If we are honest with ourselves, we will be able to let our gaurd down and be alright with our imperfect selves, which will allow us to be honest with others and accepting their imperfections as well.
I think of a toddler learning to walk and can relate to him/her being afraid to fall.This summer with my wife being off, I plan to not use the yellow beauty of a wheelchair at home.So, unplanned falls will be part of my future. I am learning to assess the damage and to get back on the horse so to speak, hopefully a bit more steady then the last step. Here's to falling forward

No comments:

Post a Comment