Monday, May 13, 2013

there is no room for people like you in heaven . . .

Was my first impression of Physical Therapists. I cannot say that my mind changed quickly, after all they have to be downright cruel to get someone to go through the pain of getting out of bed, of course if this were true, no parents would have a place in heaven either. but change it did and so have I. I now believe that they very well may be the gate-keepers to heaven, making sure that we have done all in our power to get as far as we are able with what we have been given. In the University of Utah Hospital on the rehab floor. I was under the charge of Julie the lead PT there at the time, she mentioned to me when I was about to be discharged that 'when you have a bad day Curtis, the difference  is like night and day.' There is a children's music CD done by the Bare Naked Ladies that is on of my favorite Music collections. I can remember sing a few of the songs while I was at pool therapy at Neuroworx working with my therapist Terri. I love all of my therapists there at Neuroworx, but I have to say there is something special about Terri, it could be because I have worked
with Terri the longest, or her charming South African accent-wins her a bucket load of likable points as well. Maybe it has to do with her not only putting up with me, but believing in me, despite my 'bad days,' and we all have them- a lesson that I have learned over and over again one of my other physical therapists that was doing home care with me right when I got out of the hospital was Cameron. One day Cameron had made the trek across the valley out to the fridges of civilization to where I live in SLC, where we could afford to build our home, it was snowing and I was not feeling well, not considered one of my CHAMPION days. When Cameron came in he could tell that there was something was not right. he said, 'Alright Curtis, everyone has bad days and you cannot expect that to be any different for you, what are you going to do about it. I was asked by the local boy scout group, he is a dear friend,  about having  a positive attitude. I started by sharring with them this story and that everyone has bad days. I was used to giving small group presentations to parents, not 10-13 year old boys and also shared with them one of my favorite quotes from Elder Dallin H. Oaks, 'that which we persist in doing becomes easier-not that the nature of the thing has changed- but our ability to do has increased.' After telling my wife about how the presentation went she rolled her eyes at me and lovingly patted George, my left arm, as if to say, 'ah my TBI (Tramatic Brain Injury) hubby that wants to inspire the world, when will you learn?'

No comments:

Post a Comment