Tuesday, July 30, 2013

STRONG

"4.especially able, competent, or powerful in a specific field or respect: She's very strong in mathematics. He's weak at bat, but he's a strong fielder.
5.of great moral power, firmness, or courage: strong under temptation."(dictionary.com,July,3013)

I had a conversation with Rich Finlinson, a coworker a few months ago about being strong, I told him that it was strange how it took an accident to make me feel like I was strong.He reassured me that I was strong before it, or so it seemed to him.I was a mess and weak, but my Loving Heavenly Father, who sees end from beginning and everything in between knows how to make me into what I am, only after being broken, to find my strength in Him. Who knew that I would use the same techniques that I learned to run half marathons to relearn how to walk now.
I asked my Physical Therapist Justin Clifford, who competes in strong man competitions what 'strong' means to him.He told me that he has seen a person that had no legs beyond his knees squat over 800 pounds and dead lift some outrageous amount as well. I told him of my friend Brett Borg who has run 17+ marathons and has moved on to triathlons now. I think of other friends that are raising 5 children, my wife who puts up with me and takes care of all of us, while taking on the role of provider. I met a man in the hospital who went bodyboarding with his grandchildren and hit a rock and became paralyzed from the neck down, still has a tracheotomy to help him breath, his wife picks out what he is going to wear and helps him dress himself everyday and he is a motivational speaker. People are strong and they inspire me.
On April 21, 2012 Elder Richard G. Scott said at the BYU graduation commencement,"“Strong character is more important than what you own, what you have learned, or what goals you have accomplished,” he said. “Your consistent exercise of faith builds strong character. In turn, fortified character expands your ability to exercise faith, thereby enhancing your capacity and confidence in conquering the trials of life. This strengthening cycle continues. The more your character is fortified, the more enabled you are to exercise the power of faith.” This is the strong that I am seeking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment