Saturday, July 27, 2013

DORK

is a term of endearment in my wife's family, so she got me a t-shirt with the word on it. I have found that I am better off if I just accept me being one and move on from there.It is alright, I am what I am. I wore it to therapy and attempted to explain this to my therapists, who just laughed and told me that it wasn't a term of endearment there.Joe Fernandez, a neighbor and friend saw me in it and asked, "isn't it suppose to say that you are with DORK?"Again, my explanation did not suffice. In 'A Touch of Wonder' Arthur Gordon writes, "But if we value leadership, if we prize achievement, if we are concerned with our own painful struggle towards maturity,we have to learn to overcome this fear[the fear of being different] or at least to control it. The rewards of differentness are easy enough to see . . .the fear of  being different, like most fears, tends to diminish when you drag it into the light and take a good look at it. At the bottom of such fear lies an intense preoccupation with self . . .  Recognize this sort of self-consciousness as a form of introverted egotism , and you are not as likely to be victimized by it."A stretch saying being a dork is a good leadership like quality different, I know, but my other neighbor Danielle Hill has a t-shirt that she wears proudly that says something to the effect of, "Be nice to geeks, they are your future bosses."
 In the words of a song in 'Shrek The musical, "Let your freak flag fly," or in my case, I will wear my DORK shirt unashamedly.On final thought from 'A Touch of Wonder about being different, "It takes courage to be different but there is also an art to it. The art of not antagonizing people with your differentness."Just because I am a dork, doesnt mean you have to be one.We are all our own uniquely different and that is what makes you and me special.

No comments:

Post a Comment