Friday, July 5, 2013

growing a garden

There is something therapeutic in nature. I have always loved the breath taking expanse of the sky, the wonder of solitude that can be found in the mountains, the thrill of seeing, hearing and being in the ocean. This love compounded with the love that I have with owning something, be that my self discipline to run and train for a half marathon, or taking a picture and then developing the negative and print by hand, has helped to fuel my love of gardening. I have two friends that I would call master gardeners, Marc Mckay and Ryan Morris.I shared with Marc all that I learned from the master gardener on PBS, Jerry Baker and we marveled together as we tried and had success with his time tested techniques. Ryan confided in me a few weeks ago and told me, 'I know it sounds weird, but there is something relaxing about gardening to me.'
Our stake president shared his testimony recently in our ward and talked about growing a garden, the need for good soil, sunlight and water, he tied that to the scriptures and faith, by reading in Alma. In Sunday School, we had a lesson on the gifts of the Spirit and how to recognize the ones that we have been given and what purpose they serve, much like a single zucchini plant that we cannot only fill our freezers up with the green weed-like squash, but our neighbor's as well, and thanks to my Aunt Susan a yummy desert-chocolate zucchini brownies- if you have not tried them you have not known how worth while a zucchini problem is.
It is fitting to me that the first time that I stood up again in my house was right next to our window looking out to our garden. Now thanks to friends and neighborhood scouts doing their 'good turn.' I will get to garden again in custom made raised planter boxes. I sound old by saying I am super excited to be gardening again.

"To everything there is a season." Even the longest, harshest winter will give way to spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment