Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Broken Vessel

I toyed with the idea of writing a book called broken, but decided against it, it sounded too negative. I have been reading Elder Holland's book 'For Troubled Times,' it was given to me for my birthday by my twin brother and I am loving it. It is the kind of book that you read a section at a day and attempt to digest the significance of the section. One chapter that stuck out to me is on Psalm 31:12; 'I am like a broken vessel', he writes about how we are all broken.I have always thought that this is a negative thing, I am a recovering perfectionist, so it comes with the territory, but here is how he represents it,'In severed circumstances we truely feel like 'a broken vessel.' we are certain that, as such with Humpty Dumpty, all the king's horses and all the king's men will never put us together again. But someone wrote once that  God apparently loves- and turns to our benefit- broken things.It takes broken clouds to nourish the earth, it takes broken earth to grow grain, it takes broken grain to make bread, it takes broken bread to nourish us, and so are the cycles of life"   As my friend Ryan Castro said in his Sacrament talk 'why would we need something fixed if it is not broken?'
My Lex told me to look up broken in the bible dictionary to get the biblical meaning, she is one smart cookie.Alas it is not there, but while talking with her we thought that 'broken' may not be such a negative and useless conitation here, but more of an opening or allowence for growth, such the optimist too Babe.
I have told my Lexy that I was broken, a few times in my life.earlier it was because of a issue that is part of my sealed past..Now it is from my TBI, Traumatic Brain injury and the left side neglect that has come with it. 'Choose the right' has a profoundly deeper meaning to me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment