Sunday, July 7, 2013

disabled

I know that there has been some kick back from this label and I am conflicted by it. On the one hand, I have been an 'able' person before the accident and would put myself in a different category now, but I do not wish to define myself or others by what we cannot do. My nerotherapist explained my iTBI injury in this way, There used to be a direct route from LA to New York in your brain, but now there is not, there are only side routes,but there still is a route, your brain just has to work harder to make the right connections I would like to see us define ourselves by our successes and not our mistakes or failures, although, I do believe that we can make our failures our greatest strength by learning from them. The question I ask myself is, 'Curtis, What are you learning from this?
At Neuroworx there is a handicap sign with the statement,'WARNING Jan on duty.'If I were to sum up my relationship with Jan Black, the managing therapist, that statement sums it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment