Monday, May 18, 2015

Patos Malos

is bad ducks in Spanish, translated literally, but is a "Chileanismo" that means" bad guys."
We now live close enough to the Jordan River Parkway that I can roll over with my kiddos to feed the ducks. They love this, but last month I asked them all to come with me, one of my, I've got to get out of this house moments or I'll become a Pato Malo LOCO, and was surprised to have Maxwell have a complete melt down, crying and sobbing that he wouldn't go! I'm proud to say that I was able to stay calm and call him over to sit on my lap and talk with him. My first thought was that he was afraid of something, so I asked him if he was, or if something had happened the last time we had gone. He shook his head no, still to upset to speak. I hugged him close and asked him what was wrong. He finally calmed down enough to look me in the eyes and tell me, with tears in his, that he just didn't like that some of the ducks didn't get bread. I am again proud to report that I didn't laugh in my sensitive boy's face. I did try to reason with him, not my best parenting moment, asking him if we ever left the duck pond with uneaten bread pieces floating on the water?In a moment of clarity he again managed a head shake of "no". I then asked him if he was sad because he couldn't control which duck got what piece? That did get a smile on his face, even though the tears were still freely flowing, he timidly shook his head up and down.
 When I told Lex about this, ever the problem-solver, she asked me if I'd told Max that we could help him solve his problem by getting him into baseball so that he could learn to throw better? I laughed and told her that I wasn't thinking about solving the problem, just amazed at it when I finally found out what it really was. That and it took all my mental self-control to not laugh in his face.I'm such a "pato malo" my Maer. I love you so.

No comments:

Post a Comment