Monday, September 16, 2013

unplug. . . to recharge

In a world smaller and more connected than ever. I see more people confused by the flood of distractions. I myself have found it not only helpful, but health promoting to go on a Amish-like techno fast to be able to connect with peace of mind and have quiet time for the soul so to speak. I was reminded of this need a few months ago when I went to get my haircut at my Grandma's house and was told to put my phone away and that their friend has their grandchildren and kids leave their phones in a basket by the door.
I talked with my new brother-in-law Blake Marshall about this and wasn't surprised to learn from him, he had researched the topic for a public speaking class, that a study done at Stanford found that students who took ten minutes a day to sit without any 'distractions' on, scored higher on standardized testing than those who did not.
So, go ahead and get bored by doing nothing and giving your mind a break from all the noise in the world. It is on me. I will follow my own advice and take down the google ads on here. Deal? From What About Bob? "Go on vacation" from the modern world.
Solitude is waiting, no it is not a text away, leave your phone too.

No comments:

Post a Comment