Thursday, September 19, 2013

Return with honor :Mission memoirs #3

In the Coviefe with Elder Steel I remember one morning I counted over 50 flea bites all over my body and going on splits with our zone leader who taught me that it was part of my personalized plan of salvation to serve in this area. It made me look at my life's mission differently, I signed up for this and even rejoiced to come, challenges and all.It was a continual reminder to work as hard as I could. I will never forget meeting Miguel Elizalde, he had the biggest smile on his face and spoke to us in English, saying, "I know who you are, come on in Elders!" He had seen the missionaries while he had visited family in Florida. It was a privilege to teach him. He ended up teaching us about the principle of tithing, telling us that he had a conversation with a taxi driver about how all the 'Mormons want is 10% of your money.' He said that got him thinking about the word, so he looked it up in the index of the Book of Mormon and read all the scriptures listed. He smiled and told us of how he went back to the taxi driver and showed him all the scriptures in the Bible about tithing!His one doubt or challenge with the Gospel was that he loved to go paraglide on his day off, which was Sunday, when we taught him about the importance of the Sabbath Day, he shrugged his shoulders and said,"I will just find another day to go." They don't come more golden than you Miguel. He was just baptised in time to serve a mission himself to Santiago.

No comments:

Post a Comment