Tuesday, February 18, 2014

"Just for Today . . ."

I found this in Dale Carnegie's How to Stop Worrying and Start Living He gives credit to Sibyl F. Partrige. I found this online to cut copy and paste on www.motivateus.com," a site I will be returning to:
  1. I will be happy. This assumes that what Abraham Lincoln said is true, that "most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." Happiness is from within. It is not a matter of externals.
  2.  I will try to adjust to myself to what is and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my family, my business,  and my luck as they come and fit myself to them
  3. will take care of my body. I will exercise it, care for it, nourish it, not abuse or neglect it, so that it will be a perfect machine for my bidding.
  4. I will try to strengthen my mind. I will learn something useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought, and concentration.
  5.  I will exercise my soul in three ways: I will do someone a good turn and not get found out. I will do at least two chores I don't want to do, as William James suggests, just for exercise.
  6. I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, speak diplomatically, act courteously, be liberal with praise, criticize not at all, nor find fault with anything, and not try to regulate or improve anyone.
  7. I will try to live through this day only, not tackle my whole life problem at once. I can do things for twelve hours that would appall me if I had to keep them up for a lifetime.
  8. I will have a program. I will write down what I expect to do every hour. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. It will eliminate two pests: hurrying and indecision.
  9. I will have a quiet half hour by myself and relax. In this half hour sometimes I will think of God, so as to get a little more perspective into my life.   
  10. I will be unafraid. Particularly, I will be unafraid to be happy; to enjoy what is beautiful; to love; and to believe that those I love, love me."  
Making it mine: 
  1. 1  My CHAMPION effort. My friend and lead therapist at Neuroworx Jan Black gives me a hard time when, no matter the day or who is asking me, I respond that I am doing CHAMPION. She tells me that, "Not everyday can be CHAMPION Curtis!" I am working on the rest of her staff to help me teach her that CHAMPION isn't what happens to you, but what you do with the day.
  2.  My choice/will is the only thing that I have power over, it is my ability to respond; my responsibility to give it my best.
  3. Do what you can with what you got. Every morning I am grateful for the ability I have to breath on my own, see, hear, and taste/eat, as well as the mobility that I have and thanks to Neuroworx's help and motto "Pushing for More."
  4. I love that I can read,loose myself in a story or connect in a way I never thought was possible with others. Lex had an in-service a few moths ago by an founder of the Jeffersonian thought of education  he mentioned to the staff that they should read multiple books on a variety of subjects at the same time. she said that she could not help to think of me.
  5.  I get to do good turns all day as Mr. Mom. I also love writing notes to people who impress me during the week.I have a love/hate relationship with cleaning, I love to clean, there is something therapeutic in it for me, but I also tend to be a product of my environment, if things are not just so, and with any amount of kiddos running around that's part of life, I tend to be anxious.
  6. If there is one so far that I see myself needing the most work, It is here. I wheel myself around the house correcting my boys at every chance.We even have a song that I sing, "I am the meanest dad EVER!"
  7.  Something about 49 to 50 . . . . 
  8.  Strike two, this is going to take much more work than I thought, nothing new here. I am reminded that we are creatures of habit post and talking with my Pa about having a schedule to help get Cole-Cole bilingual, while I am home with him. Why not?
  9.  How many strikes do I get again? 7 out of 9 isn't too bad, considering I do take at least 20 mins to do this from right before I get out of bed in the morning and just before bed at night, good bookends, but I can do better 
  10.   I'm out. Certain that there is room for improvement especially here.
So, How'd you fair?Life's not a spectator sport after all

No comments:

Post a Comment