Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Because I knew you I have been changed for the better

People amaze me. My wife would smirkishly say that I am easily amazed and brought to tears. I wanted to highlight some people that have made me better and probably do not even know how significant their examples have been, these are they who I have had shorter contact with then close friends and family, yet their impact on me is not quantifiable, a disclaimer, the moment that I publish this post I will think of 20 more people that I should have included:
Hermana Wagnar was my first mission president's wife, she was a nurse and I remember respecting her care and concern for not only me but all of the missionaries. While I waited for my first interview with President Wagnar she waited with me and the other missionaries and studied her talk that she would be giving in our zone conference.She was nervous about her Spanish and seeing her be so left the impression on me that if she was willing to lean and grow to serve, I could do the same.We had a discussion about how she was mad at Satan for "convincing so many that all they deserved were the scraps from the table, that we should not expect anything more." I was determined not to live by satan's scraps or to let others who would listen to the Gospel message do so.

Hermana Claudina was one of those people. She was outside watering the dirt outside of her home, so that dust would not be carried into the home. Something that the gringo missionaries laughed at, no lawns growing in the driest place on earth, but watering the dirt outside your front door kept it from making a dusty mess inside. After years of doing this, there mas no mud, just a solid mass of hard earth. I remember teaching her the discussions and her excitement to learn and do what she felt was right. The members in the ward were worried about her health to be baptized, but she wouldn't let anything stop her from following her Savior's example. She was baptized and confirmed the following Sunday. The next week we came to visit with her and were surprised to be put in charge of her funeral.

Grandma Lawley was always updating me on how the Utah Jazz played their last game, and all the thing that they should have done to win. She had the most wonderful stories to tell of her nick-knacks and treasures. She was an amazing story-teller.

Grandpa Blake Schow loved me completely and was able to convey that love with a simple smile and asking me how I was doing

Great Grandma Baugh would have me sit next to her and hold her hand as she told me how great of a kid I was.

Elder Zamorano was never a companion of mine, but some people you just know you get, before even talking to them. He was a stalwart missionary who wanted to do everything he could to be his best.

Elder Jones was a 'greeny' when I got to know him, but his faith could move mountains of  self-doubt over language-barriers and awkward shyness

Elder Cardon went with me on only one split, but his zeal for calling to be a missionary left me wondering if I had ever been as excited as he was to do something so challenging

Luz was the first convert that I was privileged to work with, her name means light in Spanish and that is what she represents to me. I saw her life changed from a bleak and dreary mundane day to day survival to one beaming with joy and excitement for the present and tomorrows filled with endless possibilities.

Lori is a friend from high school who is a person so filled with light and enthusiasm that she loved you more than you could ever love her back.

Kevin Knowlton is a friend from high school as well and taught me so much about what it means to be a friend regardless of the circumstance.

John Headman was my next door neighbor when Lex and I moved into our first home, I never had to worry about who I would sit by at church, or if I had any friends living on our street

Gabe was one of Lexy's roommates up at Ricks college. I remember her having to wear her radio into a church meeting because she was on-call and the looks she got as she responded to others in need. saving lives is a cool job.
Ms. Emily is Maxwell's kindergarten teacher and was Abby's too, she had me come and speak to Abby's class about being in a wheelchair. Anytime I am at school she finds me to give me a hug. She expects so much out of her students and loves the into achieving their best.

No comments:

Post a Comment