Friday, November 15, 2013

Balance

There is a 'happy medium,''Moderation in all things,'fine line between boredom, chaos, and feeling overwhelmed.The idea is to feel productive and have a sense of fulfillment in life. I took a stress management class at the University of Utah for my BS (hehe)degree in Psychology and learned that we spend only 20% of our time doing what gives us the most satisfaction.so, the trick is in life, to figure out what is important and spend our allotted time doing it.What is important to me maybe different than what you feel is for you.That's not the life lesson that I am highlighting here, Just the importance of time management.
As I relearn how to walk and use the left side of my body, I find that my sense of balance is off-something to do with left side neglect and naming my left arm and leg, they even have nicknames now at Neuroworx for them; george is georgy-porgy, and bob is robert, thanks to a fellow psych undergrad PT student, Amy. I love that I am a part of this Neuroworx family. They are amazing at serving me to help restore balance in my life, not just physical, but so many parallels that run into my spiritual well-being as well as social and emotional. I think about the line from one of the Tom Hanks classics, A Leauge of Their Own, "There's no crying in baseball,"and change it to no crying at therapy.
My new experience at therapy at Neuroworx has been with a new student, Lex says that I am given the students because I am so nice and talkative, I like to think that it is because I am CHAMPION & a challenge all rolled into one, but that is just my narcissism, anyway the new student that I am working with is Matt, not to be confused with Big Man Matt, who is also a therapist there at Neuroworx, or with my twin brother Matthew, but he is equally as inspiring as they are.Student Matt was in a wheelchair for a year of his life, when at age 21 he experienced some congenital problem that caused a spinal cord injury. He was a successful businessman in Florida and decided to become a physical therapist. He now has taken me on as his project and said to me yesterday,"we have some bad habits of yours to break, I am sure that they served you well, when you first started to relearn to walk, but we are beyond that now." I am frustrated and excited to continue to work with him. When I told this story to my twin brother and Lex, they both agreed that they like him already and that he is absolutely right.

No comments:

Post a Comment