Sunday, September 27, 2015

Thoughts on pride

I was suppose to teach a lesson on pride from the Teaching of our Times Ezra Taft Benson manuel lesson #18 on Sunday in Elder's Quorum, but only had less than 20mins. So, I ended up starting a discussion with this quote that President Myers sent me:
As I share the following questions that President Spencer W. Kimball asked a group similar to this, consider your own humility and the sincerity of your own prayers: “Do you want guidance? Have you prayed to the Lord for inspiration? Do you want to do right or do you want to do what you want to do whether or not it is right? Do you want to do what is best for you in the long run or what seems more desirable for the moment? Have you prayed? How much have you prayed? How did you pray? Have you prayed as did the Savior … or did you ask for what you want regardless of its being proper?”
For me, when I read through the lesson, I was struck at my need to be willing to be teachable.

President Kimball then continued: “Do you say in your prayers: ‘Thy will be done’? Did you say, ‘Heavenly Father, if you will inspire and impress me with the right, I will do that right’? … Did you say, ‘Father in Heaven, I love you, I believe in you, I know you are omniscient. I am honest. I am sincerely desirous of doing right. I know you can see the end from the beginning. You can see the future. You can discern if under this situation I present, I will have peace or turmoil, happiness or sorrow, success or failure. Tell me, please, loved Heavenly Father, and I promise to do what you tell me to do.’ Have you prayed that way? Don’t you think it might be wise? Are you courageous enough to pray that prayer?”
President Myers told me that the discussion went well for the amount of time that we had. I felt like I let him and the quorum down, but that's the recovering perfectionist.  I'm glad that this quote helped to invite the Spirit and "prime the pump" as President Myers likes to say.
My therapist Dr. Jeff Robinson told me to take a humble pill. I asked him if he didn't think that life had already served me enough humble pie? He looked at me directly and longingly said, "I want to be clear, apparently not Curtis."
So with that I'm looking forward to General Conference this weekend and mentioned to the Elders in class that I felt that the lesson was a CHAMPION way to help me get ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment