Monday, February 16, 2015

Relearning to Walk Insights


Working on breaking bad habits, unlearning them with Matt Carter, my fellow Brain Injury friend and therapist at Neuroworx. It's more effective to patiently learn things correctly and not just to get by, than to have to unlearn things and have to learn the better way any ways.
Faith walking and stepping:
 weight shift onto "Bob(my kiddos named my left leg this)"
 for a "longer step with your right, Curtis!" The voice in my head from Neuroworx,  or my Pa, and any friend or family member who aspires to be my therapist(you're all so hopeful & helpful)

My relazation that when I look in a mirror and see myself leaning to the right and it feels like I'm balanced, to trust what I see and not what I  feel? Isn't this the opposite of living by/ walking by faith?

Walking to actually get some where. With the longer step with my right leg(Abby's named him, because he's obviously a boy, Ralph and not pausing after each step to reset my balance.
Starting point of pointing my feet in the right direction.

Turning off the lights at night with George and losing equilibrium because then I further handicap myself, without being able to see as well as being hemiparalized.

Get up in the morning to use the bathroom, the joys of getting old, growing up is so oveatted. I won't use my cane .This started me having the confidence to walk inside my house without it, that and talking with my Grandpa Morgan about how he doesn't use his at his home. Thanks for your example Grandpa.
Walking:
  1. It doesn't just happen, just like anything else worthwhile, it takes hard work and persistance.
  2. Process of moving from one stage to another.
    • Step by step
    1. Desire
    2. Effort
    3. Consistancy
    4. My confidence has to wax strong
Paradigm shift:
Who knew that it was all a mental battle? (Lex knows that everything is one to me.)
      • from I cannot
      • to there's a possibility.
      • I don't want to
      • This is hard
      • I'm scared
      • I finally want to.
      • i'm going to try and even if I fail, I'll be better off than before,
      • to look what I can do! And what's next? 
      • My thespist Mikey told me that I was doing, "better" with the exercise of getting of the floor in case I fall at home. He then asked me to do it two more times. He said, "why stop at better when you are able to get to "best?"
      • My evolution better to best:
        1. No wheelchair on Saturdays when we lived in West Jordan
        2. No wheelchair in new house
        3. No cane  bouts"
        4. Cane-fee home
        5. Unassisted step in my livinroom and steps with cane instead of someone's shoulder out in the real world
        6. Next step: Walking to my parent's

No comments:

Post a Comment