Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The smart phone that made us dumber.

Think about it, how many phone numbers do you know? What about addresses?  Or emails? Or B-days? if it isn't programed in your phone would you remember them? Don't get me wrong, I love technology. I remember when I got home from my mission, shockingly it has been over ten years ago, I told Matt that it was going to be my first investment and I should've invested in a cellular company, instead of just buying one, and now i'm not sure where I'd be without it. Mine has been a bit tempermental since I dropped it in the toilet by accident last winter,  talk about a baptism by fire. Every now and the I have to reset it to keep it working right. Kind of like what I have to do with my mind now and reset with a new activity if I cannot do something right away, instead of getting frustrated and just giving up or take a nap or go to bed depending on the time of day.
But, it's all how you choose to use it. I remember a sacrament meeting talk  given by my elders quorum president, president Bevan. He stated that he liked to check the news before he went to bed and thought of how convenient it was to do this on his phone, but realized how much potential trouble he could get in to, if he wasn't careful.
In The Road To Character the author makes the point that we've got an epidemic of lonliness in a society that's superficially connected. I love writing letters to people on emails as well. Recently, I received an email from my gGrandma Baugh and she said in it that she loves notes or emails but there's nothing better than a face to face. I agree my Grandma, in a world that spends billions of dollars on communication, i tend to forget sometimes the importance of a face to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment