Monday, March 9, 2015

Another look at perfectionism


“Self-critism is self betrayal”-Candeo
I read an article in the Nov. 2005 Ensign titled, ‘Confessions of a perfectionist’ and found far too many parallels in wanting my own family to be “Robots.”. I also found this quote from President John Taylor, “Let us seek to magnify our callings and honor our God, and the Lord will take care of the balance.”   The manual also quotes Elder Worthlin, “We don’t have to be perfect today. We don’t have to be better than someone else. All we have to do is to be the very best we can( Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, “One Step after Another,” Ensign, Nov. 2001, 26.).”
I have much to learn of the atonement in general, but am only beginning to understand the concept behind the enabling power that it provides to me as I surrender my pride and lay my burdens at my Savior’s feet for Him to carry.
For this past Christmas my in-laws gave every married couple a book, we got  “Am I A Saint Yet?” It is all about overcoming perfectionism. I love this book and am excited about the validation that I feel in not being alone in becoming a “recovering perfectionist.” I am hopeful, anyway. The book is a user-friendly, self-help book that offers realistic strategies. Before the strategies the doctrinal background is given to help differentiate between the desire to improve(a worth-while desire) and perfectionist tendencies (a progress halting counterfeit for a worth-while desire to change and progress.).

No comments:

Post a Comment