Monday, August 18, 2014

It's all about Mind Control

Me controlling mine that is and not anybody elses'.
The first thing that comes to mind when I mention "mind control, is a villain "Mr. Big" on PBS' Wordgirl, yes all I need to know I learned from PBS kids shows.
I already mentioned that for summer reading Lex has been given, 'As a Man Thinketh' as well as Victor Frankl 's 'Man's Search for Meaning', just to name a few, and my good friend Ryan Castro gave me a copy of 'Thoughts for a hundred days' by Richard L. Evens, both of which have caused me some serious introspection time.
I am leaning that for me, self control is this mind control. If I can start there. I won't have problems. It all starts with a thought.On Candeo, I've learned the FRC approach to deal with unwanted thought patterns. FRC stands for, Face it, Replace it and Connect.Face it means you acknowledge the thought and where it could go, if you let it. It is not allowing myself to get caught in an avoidance cycle of withdrawing and seeking to escape everyday life problems, but to really deal with reality courageously. Second is to Replace the unwanted thought with something more powerful. Stay with me here, it is like in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azcaban when he tries yo learn how to do the spell to ward off the dementors and professor Lupus tells H to think of something more powerful than his first game of quidich. My thought has been my family and being a husband and father. A powerful thing happened to me just this past weekend that got me thinking of this. We went to Lex's and my brother-in-law's place and it wasn't somewhere we had been before, they are staying in his father's condo while their home is being built. Any who, I was walking to the car that was parked across the street and got scared to the point I was planning the best way to fall down, the way to get the least hurt and out of the blue Lex came to me, on my left side and offered me her hand. I was relieved and didn't go down, but made it back to the car across unknown terrain, because of Lex's help. I know that I can do anything with this amazing woman by my side. I love her and am grateful for her love and support.With this new emotionally charged, rescue memory. I am excited to continue to go forward. I logged onto LDS.org today and came across Ty's story on Mormonsandgays.org. I was touched by his story and how relate-able it is to my own physical progress to "just take the next step."I know as Ty states, that I am loved too.
The last step in FRC is connect. I am limited in my ability to connect with others, as I am not able to jump in a car and drive myself anywhere, but my cell phone is always with me and I love to write letters to those who impress me. I treasure the letters of encouragement  that family and friends have given to me.I watched a BYU devotional that was on today that talked about the scripture in Mosiah 4:27 and the need we have to use wisdom, as well as being diligent. I feel that this counsel applies to me with FRC.









No comments:

Post a Comment