Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Isn't this suppose to be getting easier?

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do; not that the nature of the thing itself is changed, but that our power to do is increased" -Ralph Waldo Emerson I found this in a General Conference talk titled The Power of Self-Mastery by President Faust in April 2000. I believe that this is true and see it in my life everywhere especially in my physical progress.
As I have always done with life's questions, I tend to over think things, Dr. Jeff Robinson once told me that, "you are very introspective, but that did not mean that you are any good at it!" So, I like to look at both sides of things for better or worse. The other side to self -mastery and therapy in life is that life's therapy gets more and more challenging the more we are able to do, take my Abby girl learning in second grade now to read chapter books, instead of picture books and in math adding and subtracting up to the thousands place.
On a moral/spiritual plain, in a talk by Brad Wilcox he describes the world on a downward escalator morally, so to even keep in a stagnant or stable position, one has to be actively working. In a sense our life is always an uphill climb, 'both ways as it is snowing on the way to school.' such is the price of growth.
I recently text this quote to everyone in my contacts on my phone, so if you got it thinking you were special, you are! This comes from 'The Gospel of Second Chances,' "If you have problems in your life,don't assume there is something wrong with you. Struggling with those problems is at the very core of life's purpose.As we draw closer to God, He will show us our weaknesses and through them make us wiser, stronger. If you are seeing more of your weaknesses that just might mean you are drawing closer to God and not further away"-Bruce C. Haven
In one of my many discouraged moments, I reached out to my Bishop, Jeremy Sorensen and asked him this same question of expecting my trials more manageable. He text me back that, "You are not a fool. You are a child of God and entitled to His blessings. To become as He is requires great struggle. It won't get easier, but your trust in the enabling power of the atonement will strengthen you.I have loads to learn about this enabling power."I read today in Some Miracles Take Time by Art E. Berg, "My dreams are being fulfilled, not in spite of my struggles, but because of them." I have always wanted to help others and now I have an opportunity to show my Heavenly Father's power in my own life. A dear friend Elise Christensen wrote me a letter with the saying,"I am not the man I want to be, but I am not the man I was yesterday." That is the miracle that I have in my own glacerly slow progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment