Monday, August 31, 2015

Scoundrel

I met with my therapist Dr. Robbinson again this past Friday, thanks to my Pa Baugh for his help getting me there. Dr. Robbinson told me that if I am going to see him more regularly, that he'll have to be mean. That's what it takes to get through to me. He told me of a story of a patient who had an ear inner ear infection, so he got vertigo really bad and had to quit his job and stay home(I have a hard time relating to this man and wonder what Dr. Robinson was getting at?). He couldn't  do anything in his house because his Vertigo was so bad. So, his wife had to go back to work to support him and their children. Dr. Robinson and him discovered that this patient had to feel miserable because it proved how good of a person he was. If he had to be home all day and couldn't do anything and his wife was working to support him AND he enjoyed it. That just proved how big of a scoundrel he was. Dr. Robinson called it preemptive suffering.
So i'm a bit of a scoundrel. Yes, that "bit" is minimization of my situation. I love being a dad and am learning to be grateful for my unique circumstance that allows me to be the primary care giver to them. Now, to be a dad, was daunting as a nondisabled person and i'm grateful for family and friends who are close and help. Not to mention a brillant wife who does it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment