Monday, June 22, 2015

Milestones update(TGIF #3)

These posts have two purposes:
1. to help me to realize progress that I have made. On that note, Sam at therapy yestersay, a PT student that worked with me 4 years ago, came to checkout the new place  and mentioned how CHAMPION it was to see me without my wheelchair.  speaking of  CHAMPION,  my CHAMPION therapist Matt Hansen took the opportunity to fill my bucket and emphasize that now he's had to get more knit-picky every week because of where I'm at. Last week I worked out on their eliptical whilst harnessed to their new building toy of a cieling track suspension system. I got so CHAMPION with their irratative pickiness that I would switch off going backwards. I was sore in places that I wasn't sure still existed on my left side.

Purpose #2.To help me keep positive, believe it or not I suffer from depression, no, not the CHAMPION kind, is there a CHAMPION kind of depression? I'm medicated for your protection.
I remember when I had my first public speaking experience since my accident, I was invited by my  home teacher Andy Giles to speak to the Boy Scouts. He asked me to specifically talk about being positive.  the first thing that I said was everyone has bad days. I'm sure he must've panicked a bit when I started off with that, but as Shane Myers, my EQ President, home teaching comp, and self-assigned friend in my ward(he can do that), keeps reminding me, I'm just "keeping it real, yo." He's from Pittsburgh, so he can get away with saying things like that.
As regarding to my goals for this year, I haven't had a wheelchair free year, but my home is still wheelchair free and in fact is becoming cane free too.
I've started the ball rolling on public speaking and hit a few dead ends, but will continue to sell myself. I had a paratransit eval, so that I will be able to get around more and with the kiddos all in school,Coleman's in preschool three times a week inorder to not be killed by me, I need to keep from letting the silent walls in my home  drive me crazy. Pick your poison, kill your kid because he's bored with being home alone with you, or go crazy with lonliness. Is it normal to be able to hear yourself think? I'm always up for visitors, please just call or text me before, so that I make sure I'm dressed. My doorbell doesn't work either, so knock loudly. I maybe napping or downstairs, if I'm having another CHAMPION day I'm doing both at the same time, because my massagechair is downstairs.
My progress in getting back to the temple is exciting and frustrating at the same time too. I go to weekly addiction recovery meetings, my therapist once a month, meet with my bishop weekly, and try to focus on my daily conversion with the primary answers of saying my prayers and reading my scriptures. I still hit set backs and find myself rereading Elder Renlund's talk in General Conference in April, titled Latter Day Saints Keep trying. I love:
-"Twas" I, but t's not I."
-Curtis' story, " You're not that much different."
So here's my challenge:
I'll keep trying if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment